Sunday River Charitable Fund
The Sunday River Charitable Fund is dedicated to improving the quality of life in the communities that make up the Sunday River area: Newry, Bethel, Hanover, Andover, Rumford, Mexico, Dixfield, Greenwood, Woodstock, Albany and Gilead. The fund encourages the growth of existing community service and cultural organizations and the development of new organizations that will involve and improve the lives of those who live, work and recreate in the Sunday River area.
The Sunday River Charitable Fund
The Sunday River Charitable Fund is a fund at the Maine Community Foundation, dedicated to improving the quality of life in the communities that make up the Sunday River area. Local organizations will have the opportunity to request financial assistance from the fund and be able to develop long-range plans for growth.
The fund supports charitable organizations whose primary purposes are to enhance the quality of life and meet service needs in the designated communities. The fund prefers to grant monies toward special projects that have a clear and measurable impact.
Projects and requests that in time become self-sufficient and broaden their fundraising activities are preferred. The fund is not intended to become the sole source of financial support.
Who heads up the fund?
The fund is administered by an Advisory Committee to be appointed as follows:
• 2 employees of Sunday River elected by the staff of Sunday River,
• 2 employees appointed by Sunday River management and
• 2 community members appointed by Sunday River management
Where will the fund monies come from and how are they allocated?
The fund accepts tax-deductible contributions in the form of cash or check. Additionally, this newly conceived fund encourages the employees of Sunday River to contribute on a volunteer basis through a payroll deduction program. The contributions made through the payroll deduction program will be matched by Sunday River.
We hope that property owners, vendors, suppliers and friends will find this an excellent vehicle to make their community service donation.
We invite other local businesses and their staff to also become involved in this vital community program. The funding guidelines dictate that all grants will be given to organizations that benefit the communities in the Sunday River region.
By encouraging all segments of the community to participate in the fund, a broad base of interest in charitable activity will develop. Through the coordinated efforts of its people, working together toward a common goal of improving the quality of life in the area, the fund will flourish.
The fund allocates monies twice a year, in April and October, to cultural, community service and other organizations that request grants by submitting formal applications for specific projects. The Advisory Committee makes decisions based upon the requests it receives.
Making a donation
Tax–deductible contributions to the Sunday River Charitable Fund are being accepted from the entire community. Community members may make contributions by check, payable to: MCF – Sunday River Charitable Fund, at Maine Community Foundation, 245 Main Street, Ellsworth, ME 04605.
The funding guidelines dictate that all grants will be given to organizations that benefit the communities in the Sunday River region.
All requests to the Sunday River Charitable Fund must be submitted in writing by March 15 or September 15 each year to the Secretary, Sunday River Region Charitable Fund, Sunday River, PO Box 4500, 15 South Ridge Road, Newry, ME 04261. The fund prefers that organizations request funds only once during the calendar year, unless there are unusual financial difficulties.
The following information must be included:
• Name of organization.
• Mailing address.
• Contact person and telephone number.
• Purpose of organization.
• Copy of IRS 501-C(3) certification or equivalent documentation.
• Names of staff and brief backgrounds, if different from previous information submitted.
• Names of board and affiliations if different from previous information submitted.
• Budget summary, if applicable, including previous year’s actual financial statement and projected budgets for the next three years.
• Amount requested from the Fund.
• Expected amount of funding from other sources.
• Explanation of need for and anticipated use of funds.
• Anticipated impact and benefits to be realized in the community from expenditure of funds.
• Amount of anticipated funding to be requested from the Fund in each of the next three years, if applicable.
Organizations requesting funding must have Internal Revenue code 501-C(3) nonprofit status.
Organizations must demonstrate a clear need for private financial support.
A clear impact on the communities that make up the Sunday River area must be shown.
The Sunday River Charitable Fund does not provide funding for the following:
• Any political campaign on behalf of any issue or candidate.
• Endowment funds.
• Religious activities.
• Individual fundraising efforts and/or events (Walk-A-Thons, Telethons, etc.).
• Goodwill advertising of a public relations or publicity nature or testimonials.
• Agencies that are members of United Way organizations, except in emergency situations.
• Athletic events that do not benefit qualified organizations as stated in Eligibility Criteria.
With the establishment of this Fund, we are proud to announce that the Sunday River area now has a way to enhance the quality of life of its people and making it a better place to live.