Sunday River Community Fund
The Sunday River Community Fund is dedicated to improving the quality of life in the towns that make up the Sunday River area: Newry, Bethel, Hanover, Andover, Rumford, Mexico, Dixfield, Greenwood, Woodstock, Albany, and Gilead. The fund encourages the growth of existing community service and cultural organizations as well as the development of new organizations that will involve and improve the lives of those who live, work and recreate in the Sunday River area.
The Sunday River Community Fund is a donor-advised fund housed at the Maine Community Foundation.
Local organizations whose primary purposes are to enhance the quality of life and meet service needs in the designated communities have the opportunity to request financial assistance from the fund and be able to develop long-range plans for growth. Projects and requests that in time become self-sufficient and broaden their fundraising activities are preferred. The fund is not intended to become the sole source of financial support.
Organizations that have received support from the Sunday River Community Fund include the Bryant Pond Learning Center, Town of Bethel Recreation Department, Adroscoggin River Watershed Council, Mahoosuc Pathways, the Bethel Library Association, the Mahoosuc Land Trust.
Who heads up the fund?
The fund is administered by an Advisory Committee to be appointed as follows:
- 2 employees of Sunday River Ski Resort elected by the staff of Sunday River
- 2 employees appointed by Sunday River management
- 2 community members appointed by Sunday River management
Where will the fund monies come from and how are they allocated?
Sunday River Team Members contribute voluntarily to the fund through a payroll deduction program. These contributions made through the payroll deduction program are matched by Sunday River.
We invite other local businesses and their staff to also become involved. By encouraging our community to participate in the fund, a broad base of interest in charitable activity will develop. Through the coordinated efforts of its people, working together toward a common goal of improving the quality of life in the area, the fund will flourish.
The fund allocates monies twice a year, in April and October, to cultural, community service and other organizations that request grants by submitting formal applications for specific projects. The Advisory Committee makes decisions based upon the requests it receives.
Making a donation
Contributions can be made online or by check, payable to MCF - Sunday River Community Fund, mailed to Maine Community Foundation, 245 Main Street, Ellsworth, ME 04605. All donations are tax-deductible.
The funding guidelines dictate that all grants will be given to organizations that benefit the communities in the Sunday River area.
All requests to the Sunday River Community Fund must be submitted in writing by March 15 or September 15 each year to the Secretary, Sunday River Community Fund, Sunday River, PO Box 4500, 15 South Ridge Road, Newry, ME 04261. The fund prefers that organizations request funds only once during the calendar year, and may not receive grants for more than 3 consecutive years.
The following information must be included:
- Name of organization.
- Mailing address.
- Contact person and telephone number.
- Purpose of organization
- Copy of IRS 501-C(3) certification or equivalent documentation.
- Names of staff and brief backgrounds, if different from previous information submitted.
- Names of board and affiliations if different from previous information submitted.
- Budget summary, if applicable, including previous year's actual financial statement and projected budgets for the next three years.
- Amount requested from the Fund.
- Expected amount of funding from other sources.
- Explanation of need for and anticipated use of funds.
- Anticipated impact and benefits to be realized in the community from the expenditure of funds.
Note: If monies from a grant will be used to support another organization, that organization must be specifically named in the request letter.
- Organizations requesting funding must have Internal Revenue code 501-C(3) nonprofit status.
- Organizations must demonstrate a clear need for private financial support.
- A clear impact on the communities that make up the Sunday River area must be shown.
The Sunday River Community Fund does not provide funding for the following:
- Any political campaign on behalf of any issue or candidate.
- Endowment funds.
- Religious activities.
- Individual fundraising efforts and/or events (Walk-A-Thons, Telethons, etc.).
- Goodwill advertising of a public relations or public nature or testimonials.
- Agencies that are members of United Way organizations, except in emergency situations.
- Athletic events that do not benefit qualified organizations as stated in Eligibility Criteria.
With the establishment of this Fund, we are proud to announce that the Sunday River area now has a way to enhance the quality of life of its people and making it a better place to live.